One of the most rewarding parts of the job while I have been taking care of pediatric patients has been working with children and staff in the CREN (Center for Rehabilitation and Nutrition Education).
The CREN is a very special unit behind Galmi hospital for malnourished children and their caregivers. Currently, there are about 10 - 12 children staying in the CREN, but at times they have as many as 60 children.
When a malnourished child between 1 and 5 years of age is seen in the clinic we encourage admission to the CREN for nutritional rehab and education. The child and their caretaker (usually the mother or grandmother) can stay for free and they are provided with free food and housing.
Each child is measured and weighed and their numbers are compared to a World Health Organization growth chart.
Their target weight is plotted on the graph and their progress is tracked daily.
This little boy gained 2 1/2 pounds in two weeks during his stay at the CREN and was discharged to go home. When he left his weight was above his target weight goal.
The children are provided with a high calorie milk formula and Plumpy’nut - a peanut based paste that is used to treat severe malnutrition.
A young girl getting ready to tear into some Plumpy'nut.
In a garden near the CREN, Galmi staff grow the Moringa tree - an amazing plant that occurs naturally in many of the countries where malnutrition is most prevalent.
The leaves and shoots are edible. They are packed with nutrients and contains gram for gram 7 times the vitamin C of oranges, 4 times the vitamin A of carrots, 4 times the calcium of milk, 3 times the potassium of bananas, and 2 times the protein of yogurt. A few times per week the children are fed meals with Moringa leaves.
I can say that one of the best parts of the job is seeing these children put on weight and watching their families learn how to provide more nutritious meals once they are discharged. Visiting the CREN each day has been a source of encouragement to me. I see children come into the hospital very sick, but some end up doing very well after a few weeks of education and weight gain.








I love you my son! God is with you in that far corner of the world. What amazing pictures - I had no idea you could offer that kind of care for the children. I will continue to pray that they grow and thrive. It must warm your heart to see them do so well. I pray Psalm 139:13-14 for the children: "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful."
ReplyDeleteLove Mom/ReeRee
Hello Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Libby and I work for a church that supports a pair of missionaries working with CREN in Niger. I was wondering if I could have your permission to use some of these photos for our monthly newsletter, to give members a visual of some of the work they are doing. Please let me know at communications[at]1stpc[dot]org
Thank you,
Libby